For a long time, I resisted buying patterns from Sew Over It! This was because I thought , I already have something in my stash that is similar! No need to buy more! Then I made the top from Sew Over It Vintage and the beautiful makes made by others just won me over! For a long time I wanted a wrap dress! Now I made two!
My one of my friends is getting married and for her hen party we have a theme and we have to dress up, as nurses! That will be a party to remember! As usual because I want to get more than one wear out of my makes, I decided to go for something that is not too much of a costume and can be worn on different occasions! I also did not want to buy new fabric for it! That was before I ended up at the local Abakhan’s and bought some! He, he, I think the intention counts, don’t you think?
As usual, rather than try a muslin, considering Sew Over It patterns are new to me, I carried on and made the first dress out of the cream scuba fabric I bought! I thought I am using stretch fabric, the dress will fit me fine! How wrong was I! The bodice is way to long between bust and shoulder! Which means I risk flashing my boobs! In this picture I carefully wrapped it! I also added some clear elastic to make it rise a bit! But I am not too happy with it! So I have shortened the pattern between the armscye and bust by 3cm! Usually I need to do an FBA but in this case I was ok! Just needed to re-draw the lines on the front and adjust the front facings as well. I took advantage of this and I also shortened the sleeves as well!
By this time I had my Evrika moment and for the second dress I made it on the overlocker except for the hemming and top-stitching for which I used my sewing machine! I also felt that the facing is flapping about to much and although I topstitched it in place it was still not right, so I ended up trimming it off on both dresses! On my second dress I also top-stitched the ties! They look better to me! On one of the dresses I used the twin needle, and on the other I used a zig-zag stitch! My second make fits me so much better as I am not trying to compensate for the fact the bodice is too long! I already decided to make more of these dresses! On next makes I will make the ties in contrasting fabric as well! Hopefully this time I have learnt my lesson! Second fabric is a bit to see through for me! Great dress to wear in! But the plan is make more, many more! Already have a few fabrics that will work well with this pattern!
I did did not mention the instructions, because I did not use them! The pattern is very simple, yet versatile!