An ounce of loyalty is worth a pound of cleverness.
–Elbert Green Hubbard
Normally, I do not make muslins.
Well this was no exception to this rule of mine. The reason I do not have the patience to make a muslin and then change it . I like to see the results fast. So I just wing it , I modify clothes I get along. So far it did not go that bad. Well, I have not tried to make a really fitted garment, where you need to get the fit right or it is a disaster.
The pattern instructions advise you use ‘skirt fabrics with some body, with or without elastane’. Which I guess I did in a way. I thought I’ll have a cute skirt.
Originally, I was thinking of making a Chinese style top, but not enough fabric, for that . Now I am kind of glad as I would have been annoyed a bit more, if my top ended in this state.
As the fabric was fraying a bit to much for my liking, and because I wanted a clean inside, I’ve started with over-locking the darn thing. And started the construction of the skirt. I did not follow the instructions, as it very easy to put together. Get the darts sew up. I use the one thread technique as it works better for me. First problem I encountered when I added the zipper. I used the wrong technique out of laziness. Please do not be to harsh with me. I promise I will not cut corners again, for a short while anyway.
When I tried it on, I realised that I forgot to add the 1cm I needed from size 36 to the waist. So I sewed away and finished the skirt, although quite early I realised something went wrong . I thought that like always by sewing within the seam allowance and other little tricks like this I’ll save the skirt. But it did not happen. I have ended up with a muslin instead. You know ‘Never say Never’! Well, I did say it, with regard of me never making a muslin, and this happened. I hope it is a lesson learnt. I do not want to keep doing this.
I’ve not let out the seams from the right point, I needed to go lower, and release them from the hip point. Also the zip looks awful. Not a sight I wish to impose on anyone. And even it i wear it with a top that covers my derrière, I made it to fitted, which means that I will be afraid when I sit down the seams will come apart and expose my undies. And that iron burn is not flattering either. Also the seams look horrible and I have the feeling that by washing the skirt this will not change. Therefore, ‘No way Jose’ I’ll be wearing this skirt in public. Will just have to make some minor adjustments to the patterns and try again with a different fabric. I think I’ll stick with some cotton that has a bit of crosswise stretch (I need no to mistake it for bias stretch – which I did with this fabric. Very bad I know !!!).
At least, I’ve learnt a lesson and I made a muslin, not a wearable one, but a muslin all right!
Thanks for reading.